Tuesday, March 08, 2011

same old, same old



I am lucky.
I have benefited from changes won by passionate women in the past.
I have benefited from unlimited academic education, been employed in a traditionally male environment, and had the freedom to travel, vote, debate, and own property.

Yet I am also one of the sizable minority who has suffered domestic violence in her life.
I am also one of the many who still contribute to the billions of dollars in unpaid labour worldwide.
I am blessed yet automatically handicapped by raising a son.
Parenting is still unequally weighted onto me by society.
I was born in the sixties, yet the essence of the message above has been unchanged since then.

For some strange reason, being born with a uterus condemns more than 50% of the world's population to deprivation, danger, poverty, inequality, lack of status, insecurity, drudgery, ignorance ... all this just for being a woman.

It's definitely more than time for change.
It's been more than time for change for the whole of my life.

Happy International Women's Day 
ebb and flo by pomo mama design click to shop pomo mama design online!