Thursday, November 18, 2010

self portrait thursday: the it's (not) all about me edition

SPT 18th November: new display rack

Being in celebration of the Etsy Self Portrait Thursday challenge where a bunch of Etsy sellers indulge in online vanity by taking pics of themselves

But it's not all about me ... or my amazing wire crochet jewelry ... or marketing ....

OK, at this time of the year it's all about marketing. It's craft fair season. It's the time of year when independent designers such as myself can sell really well in the christmas gift market. It's the time of year when many hours are spent at the bench, either creating (joy) or dealing with labeling, packaging, etc (less joy).

It's the time of year when I get to venture out of my den and meet people, buyers and (importantly for me) my fellow designers.
So without further ado, let me tell you about some of the great indie artists you can meet (and I can catch up with as they are all online/IRL friends) at this weekend's Fab Fair at Heritage Hall on Main Street.

First up is the amazing Groovy Glass Girl, creator of stylish and funky art glass pieces of jewelry. Really, we should be rivals since we compete in the crowded jewelry market but one look at her work will tell you she is in a class all of her own. If you like glass and you like "modern and edgy" then please stop by her table this weekend.

Next up is Free Lion Productions with some smart, stylish and what-every-girl-needs purses. These make excellent gifts (or a 'thank you' to yourself for getting thru the christmas shopping). Free Lion also runs the local Etsy sellers team btw (busy gal).


Since Fab Fair is a bags and jewelry show I make no apology for introducing another amazing jewelry designer. Mindan's Designs features beautifully crafted metalwork pieces. Her work is deceptively simple in appearance but a whopping 15 out of 10 for effect. If you're looking for a classic modern, understatededly elegant piece for a hard-to-buy for friend then this is the artist you should be talking to.

Lastly, not jewelry but accessories ... or hats to be more precise. Tomoko Tahara is a skilled milliner who handknits/crochets her designs. Although I've never met Tomoko I feel like I have through her hats. It's almost impossible not to recognise one of her pieces in real life, and its owner will always give it a huge thumbs up. She has a great reputation for keeping heads warm and stylish throughout Vancouver.
ebb and flo by pomo mama design click to shop pomo mama design online!