Monday, March 16, 2009

yarn bombers!


yarn bombers!, originally uploaded by ebbandflo_pomomama.

I saw my first act of yarn bombing this weekend while on retreat on Salt Spring island.
The yarn bombers had colourfully and tastefully transformed a planter outside the local grocery store into spring garden of knitted tulips and gnomes complete with their own verdant patch of grass.
A nearby tree was decorated too and a small notice informed onlookers of the yarn bombers' intention.
Everybody I saw who passed and stopped was smiling at the sight.

... and then the next morning the installation was blanketed in fresh snow with just the tips peeking out.

I'm not sure about the Gulf Islands since I'm not a resident but sometimes winter just drags on and gloomily on in Lower Mainland BC so a cheerful reminder that spring is not far off is a welcome break.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That brings a smile to my face. I couldn't get enough knitting time in now to do something like that, but I love that these yarny types are beautifying an otherwise dreary world.

Post a Comment

ebb and flo by pomo mama design click to shop pomo mama design online!