Making a batch of custom sterling earwires for a repeat customer and old friend :)
Wednesday, February 29, 2012
Sunday, February 26, 2012
Thursday, February 23, 2012
Is it really that long ago?
Time flies, except for right now when life slows to a crawl and there still aren't enough hours in the day.
Life's a little intense right now - apologies for the bloglessness.
Normal service will resume soon - I hope to regain my blogging mojo with a weekend away sans The Boys to restore my superpowers.
PS: had one internship interview on Wednesday. This whole process (interviewing for work experience) is nerve-wracking!
Tuesday, February 21, 2012
Sunday, February 19, 2012
Friday, February 17, 2012
Thursday, February 16, 2012
Wednesday, February 15, 2012
Tuesday, February 14, 2012
Two internships applied for.
One medical check up completed (all clear).
Design samples in progress.
Final internship application underway.
School valentines day prep accomplished (ridiculous).
Downloaded demo of ArtRage StudioPro ... playtime :)
Saturday, February 11, 2012
Happy 8th birthday, flickr!
This was my first photo upload when I started my account in April 2006 - a bracelet for my sister made before I started my Etsy shop. I joined Etsy in March then flickr a month later. At the time, all the Etsy sellers were keen on using flickr for promotion eve though it's primary function was not ecommerce. My first uploads were pure portfolio pieces, documenting my early attempts at making jewelry.
Although family makes an appearance on p2 of my account most of my personal pics stay private and visitors just see jewelry jewelry jewelry. Mixed media makes an appearance on the fourth page as I dive headlong into wire and fibre.
My very first self-portrait thursday arrives January 2007, egged on by a bunch of Etsy sellers. In those early years Etsy was a very sociable and helpful site to be part of. There was a great sense of community and I learned a lot about 'being online' from some wonderful people.
My account stays very creativity-focused for a long time, even documenting my progress with other techniques including soapstone carving a grizzly bear.
Finally, after about 40 pages, my flickr account starts getting more personal and less hard-sell with a photo diary of a camping holiday on Sunshine Coast. It's been less deliberately arty and more about cataloguing my life ever since then.
Although the creativity has changed and I don't document it quite as much, it's still a big part of my life. Being able to share the crafty moments via flickr has opened up so many online doors to me, and is probably the reason why I have a good footprint in social media these days. I love being able to look back at my visual diary and see just how far I've come, from the jewelry-making as a step towards sanity as an isolated SAHM, to an almost habitual unconcious incorporation of creative moments into everyday life.
It's been a real journey, flickr. Thanks for the ride :)
Friday, February 10, 2012
I did this.
All of it.
It was my reward for getting through today's hard slog of composing cover letters, assembling portfolios, proofreading, learning to spell canadianishly, mastering acrobat pro, pinning down testimonials (and thank you to each and every one of my testimonialers), psyching myself up, household maintenance, and lastly, believing in myself.
Yup - I'm going for it.
I'm applying for the summer internship bit of my part-time college course.
Now, if you're a regular and long-time reader of my blog (poor you), you will remember the last time The World of Real (i.e., paid) Work tapped on my shoulder and scared the bejesus out of me.
Why am I doing this to myself again?
Wednesday, February 08, 2012
Monday, February 06, 2012
Here it is - another month of eats.
It's a little uninspired - I don't feel like trying anything new (too much work and Stuff going on) :(
I got some peppers and a mango today so we'll probably have a colourful salad this week to relieve the coleslaw.
- Monday = Shepherd's Pie (leftovers from roast)
- Tuesday = chicken noodle soup with homemade bread and cheeses
- Wednesday = oven-baked goat cheese risotto (i promise i will blog the recipe - it's so easy)
- Thursday = sausage boulangere slow-cook i.e., layers of sliced potato with chopped sausage, onion and stock
- Friday = salmon pasta bake
- Monday = beany lasagne, made with beans slow-cooked under last week's roast
- Tuesday = slow-cook spaghetti bolognese
- Wednesday = who knows? I'm out for the evening!!
- Thursday = Tamale Pie with salsa and plain yogurt dip(the beans from 'under the roast' make a final appearance under a corn bread topping)
- Friday = I think we're eating out tonight since it's a Pro-D day in this school district
- Monday = homemade burgers with yam fries
- Tuesday = nachos with all the trimmings!
- Wednesday = butter chicken with rice and naan bread
- Thursday = slow cooker ribs and beans (to replace the beans consumed last week!)
- Friday = i'm outta here!
- Monday = lamb meat loaf (recipe from Real Simple)
- Tuesday = cold meat loaf with salads
- Wednesday = sweet tomato tart (another easy recipe i should blog - pic here)
- Thursday = spaghetti cheese pie (made with cooked spaghetti mixed with a couple of whisked eggs, topped with grated cheese then baked until cheese melted)
- Friday = Thai fish curry with udon noodles and coconut milk (in other words, fish and cilantro boiled in coconut milk with Thai curry paste, red, green or yellow)
Sunday, February 05, 2012
Took a breather and did some scribbling in Corel Draw on my super-dooper touch screen.
Aha! Now I know why my capacitive stylus sometimes fails - dust!
Happy Sunday :)
Friday, February 03, 2012
Thursday, February 02, 2012
This one is all about what's going on outside my head, namely my hair. It is most certainly bad hair day/week. Cannot get the bugger to behave. Have discovered that bad hair day alone contributes more to feelings of frump and frustration with life in general than anything else, and cannot be ameliorated with chocolate ingestion.
Gee - I'm shallow.